Pages

Friday, September 28, 2012

Peaceful Morning at the Arboretum


This past chilly Monday morning, I visited the H.O. Botanical Gardens at the Penn State Arboretum. Yes, that is quite a mouthful! Anyway, even though I happen to live across the street from the Arboretum, I never noticed it until my English teacher said that we will be taking a field trip there. The garden is open daily from dawn to dusk and there is no admission charge. All that is asked is that you remember to be respectful to the garden because you wouldn't want to ruin the experience for others. I was pretty excited to go to the Arboretum because not only did it mean that I'd get to spend my Monday morning taking a leisure walk around the gardens, I would also get to sleep in! What college kid doesn't love having the opportunity of sleeping in on a Monday!?

This was my first trip to the Arboretum. I really enjoyed the time I spent there. It was a very relaxing and peaceful way to start my Monday morning. As I wandered around the garden, I let my mind run free and take in the beauty of my surroundings. The garden has different paths that lead you all throughout the garden so that you can view the many plants, lily-pads, flowers, gourds, and bamboo. There is also a beautiful Overlook Pavilion that overlooks the circular garden and a pretty fountain that you will first see as you are walking toward the Arboretum. While I was walking through the garden, I went underneath an archway and when I looked up, I saw green gourds hanging from the top which was pretty cool. I also like the different flowers arranged all throughout the garden. They were so many colors such as red, orange, and purple which made the garden feel lively and warm. In the middle of the garden there is a pond filled with many types of lily-pads. I'm glad I didn't spot a frog because I probably would've freaked out. After I finished looking at the lily-pads I continued to walk until I saw a section filled with bamboo stalks. While I was looking at the bamboo plants, my teacher shared with me that bamboo can be used as a means of torture because it grows very quickly. All you have to do is lay a person on a bed of short bamboo stalks and it will grow so quick that it will go right through the person's body! When I heard that I shuddered a little and imagined how painful that must feel. I then headed to the fountain and took in the beauty of it. I walked around it and even stopped to look at the view of some workers working in the field, the Forest Resource Building, the Business Building, and finally my dorm residence East Halls. After that, I made my way back to my dorm but not without taking one final look at the Arboretum.

I am somewhat of a nature-lover because every now and then I like to get away from my busy life and relax in nature's surroundings. I have always enjoyed taking walks or bicycle rides with my dad through the Valley Forge National Historic Park which is located in Valley Forge, PA. I also like to watch water-shows and walk through gardens, meadows, and woodlands with my mom at Longwood Gardens which is located in Kennett Square, PA. My neighborhood also has many trails that lead into the woods that I like to take walks on with my little brother and sister.

I really enjoyed my visit to the Arboretum. It was a great way to start off my Monday morning. I will probably be going back many times to continue exploring the Arboretum because it is pretty big and I only got to look at a small portion. If you happen to know anyone that enjoys nature and its perks, you should tell them to go here. It's a nice escape from the busy campus life and a great place to go and think and reflect on things in life. Check out the fountain as well at night because the water combined with the lights is quite a sight!

Here are some pictures I took of the different things in the Arboretum









6 comments:

  1. Danielle,

    My kids love the fountain at night. Magical!

    S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danielle,

    I'm glad that you provided a solid amount of pictures from the botanical garden! If I had to change one thing about my own post, it would be to have taken more pictures while we were there. I agree with you when you said that the Arboretum is an escape from the hectic Penn State streets. Maybe I'll see you at the botanical gardens on a day when we're both searching for peace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At first I thought I was reading my own post on a different background and did a double take. Like minds… Ha, well anyway, back to the post. A few things: Why so afraid of frogs?! They’re harmless (at least the ones around here; not that I’d touch one ever) Also, I just have to be that person and say that we have no idea or comparative imagination of how painful bamboo growing through us would be (THANKFULLY!). That’s just an incredible thought though… What’s really scary is remembering some things from biology, the botany section, and imagining how the cap plant would actually be growing up and pushing through. Okay, I’ll stop there, ha.

    I like all of your pictures. They are all definitely favorites of mine even at the PSU arboretum. It’s the colors. :) I’m glad you mentioned how much you enjoyed the trip in your post though. I remember when our group was walking around, and you just seemed to intensely focused while taking pictures. I couldn’t even tell you were so immersed in the place. Well, that’s a post well written, Danielle. Your pictures do speak a thousand words a piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The arboretum reminded me of longwood gardens too! I always loved going there when I was a kid, especially at christmas time because they have the most beautiful displays and light shows. I like nature a lot too and I felt that the arboretum would be a great place to go to escape, clear your head, and get a little zen back in your life. Awesome blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved your pictures! Especially the one of the fountain! Also the part about the bamboo is scary! I have never heard of that use of bamboo for torture before! Great Review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved all your pictures! You got a lot of great shots. The picture of the fountain looks magical. Your first paragraph was very intriguing, I felt the same way on that Monday. Your right, what college kid doesn't want to sleep in on a Monday. You did a great job describing everything you saw and how you felt. If I had never been to the Arboretum, your blog post would make me want to go. Great Job! :)

    ReplyDelete